Friday, March 2, 2007

First York Lecture

I attended the lecture, “Physical Geography,” this morning. I went to school earlier than usual.

The class started at 10:30 a.m.When I entered the class, I was surprised. There were a lot of students and the classroom was very big. Many students had their own laptops and studied with them. In my county, Korea, it is not common that students bring their laptops to class. I just used my laptop when I had presentations.

Today’s theme was “Temperature.” I learned about Net Radiation. Net Radiation is affected by latitude, cloudiness, and time of day and year. Also I was taught that inversions are common in the Arctic because surface net radiation is normally negative. And the urban temperature is higher than the temperature in other areas, because there are many buildings downtown.

During the class, I couldn’t understand everything exactly, but I felt what a university class is. Some students who were sitting near the professor studied hard, but the other students who were sitting in the back of the classroom did some different things, such as using the internet messenger or playing games. That is something in common between North American students and Korean students. When I was in Korea as a student, there were students who concentrated on doing other things which were out of the topic in class. It is a little bit funny. *^^*

I will join other classes. It makes me interested. I want to enjoy lots of university lives at York University.

Here is the website for the department of geography at York University:

http://www.yorku.ca/geograph/

No comments: