Friday, March 2, 2007

U-Life: Greek Town

Yesterday Yukie and I went to Finch station by TTC 60. We arrived there at 2:15pm and met with Taeyoon, Joyce, Qiyoon and her friend. It was the first time I went with my classmates. Maybe because I joined the class late, I feel that they are quite close to each other. Qiyoon was a little bit tired and her stomach was not very well. We didn't have a lot of conversation. We went to Greek town.

The Greek Festival was held in the second week of August. Many people went there too. The street was very crowded with people. I felt like I was walking in the 1/7 demonstration in Hong Kong. The sunshine was so strong that we soon searched for a Greek restaurant. We went into aGreek restaurant nearby. The foods' names were quite new to us. Some of them were in Greek. But the others didn't try any Greek food. Joyce and I ordered one dish called "moussaka" and Greek coffee.

When I ordered the Greek coffee, I asked the waiter what's the difference between western and Greek coffee. He said that Greek coffee was more sticky and stronger than western coffee. I got a very small cup of coffee. I heard from my friend that if you have a good meal, you will not drink a large cup of coffee because you feel it's enough. If you have a bad meal, you will drink a large cup of coffee to fulfill your feeling insufficiency. Therefore the restaurant only gave us a small cup of coffee. But I didn't order any meal. I wanted more coffee!

As the waiter said, the coffee was sticky. If you don't stir it for some time, the coffee will stick together. When I put some brown sugar inside, the coffee was delicious to drink.Yukie, Joyce, Taeyoon and Qiyoon's friend had a try of my coffee. They also felt that the coffee was delicious. I find that western people enjoy bitter coffee. But many Asians like sweet coffee and so do I.

Taeyoon ordered a beer to drink. Yukie heard from his Korean friend that his birthday was coming. But Taeyoon only knew his Lunar birthday. As Japanese, Korean and Chinese Lunar calenders are the same, Joyce helped Taeyoon to find his western birthday this year. Joyce calculated that Taeyoon's birthday is today (if yesterday-> tomorrow, if monday-> yesterday)! Yeah!

Yukie brought her travel book on Toronto with her. She found a paragraph descibing Greek Town. But it was in Japanese. Fortunately there are quite a lot of Chinese words in the paragraph. Therefore I could guess what it talked about.

The Greek dish "Moussaka" is quite special. It is quite delicious. It is a cake-like food that egg is the cover with beef inside. We also tried the salad. There is an olive on the salad. It's first time I have seen the olive fruit. It's very salty. But it tastes good~

After the meal, we continued to walk foreward. But the sunshine was still so strong that we could not bear it and walk the remaining part of the Festival. Therefore, we stayed at an open area with shade.

I find that Koreans speak with low voice. It is their habit. I look forward for another gathering to go to another place!

Here is the website for the Greek Festival:

http://www.toronto.com/tasteofthedanforth

No comments: